Friday, January 15, 2010

You'll find someone who deserves you...

How many of us have heard that over the years??? (or some derivation of it)

It's almost as incredibly cliche as "It's not you, it's me" (and just to point out, of course it's you, you self-centered prick who cant keep his dick in his pants long enough to actually try to maintain something meaningful with someone who [formerly] worshiped you!!!!)... sorry about that little rant, it's not targeted at anyone in particular, just a little venting on my part, for all those who have heard those cursed words!

I guess I've just heard "you deserve so much more" too many times now. It's my heart, and my love to give, YOU do not get to tell me who I should love. If I love you, then I LOVE YOU, telling me I deserve someone else is just you flaking out. It's not going to change the way I feel about you.

So my advice to anyone who wants to break up with their partners... do not say anything along those lines. It's unfair to them. Grow a pair, and be the dick that you clearly are (unless you have good cause to break up with them, in which case I recommend some scissors and an escape route). If you try to be the nice guy when breaking up with someone, it just ends up hurting more... so if you're going to break their heart, cut them deep... at least this way they can hate you and work on getting over it.

I've become such a cynic... there was a time once (not too long ago!) where love and romance were the biggest drives in my life, they softened the harsh world that we live in. Now, I see cheats and liars everywhere, unhappy relationships, broken homes and good people having their hearts ripped out by the shallow.

If Shakespeare were alive today, I'm sure he would have something to say about the state of love in our world. What is it about humanities obsession with completely destroying everything that was once good??? Remember Shakespeare's words, in my favorite piece of literature, Sonnet 116:

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved
.


Ohh such words used to move me right down to my core... now I read them with a detached sense of loss. It saddens me.

The world has become a cold place indeed.

5 comments:

  1. I stumbled upon this via a friend's blog. Nice application of the poem. My favorite part is "Love's not Time's fool" perhaps the strongest four consecutive syllables in the poem. Love, as Shakespeare (and you) suggest, is unchanging in it's purest/truest form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm sitting alone, my thoughts often turn to this Sonnet, and the so-called "characteristics" of Love. Often the passage from Corinthians 13:4-7:

    Love is patient, love is kind.
    It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
    It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
    Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
    It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

    And as I ponder these, I often find myself disagreeing with them... Love can be the most impatient of all emotions. And it can be the cruelest thing in the world. yes, it has major highs, but these can be followed by the lowest of lows... and it's scary.

    Only Shakespeare has found a characteristic of Love that I can agree with... and that is, that it is 'unchanging' throughout time. While it may fluctuate and oscillate, Love is always present, and comes hand in hand with Time. Perhaps... My opinion has been known to change on the matters of Love and the heart.

    Thank you for you post GMB, and for following my Blog. It means a lot to me. I am looking forward to reading yours, as I know very little of the Mormon beliefs. I have a friend (female) who is/was Mormon when I first met her, though now she has stopped practicing her beliefs completely (corrupted by University... or more the guys around her).
    I've also seen the film "Latter Days", which was quite inspirational... if you haven't seen it, it might be something you'd like to look up. I'm not sure if you are a fan of Gay Cinema... but the storyline follows a young Mormon missionary who moves next to/near a young gay guy, who is a bit of a party boy. I wont continue, because if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it... it had me in tears a few times.

    Lukas x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lukas, your post seemed to attract the Mormons because here is another one! That is a beautiful sonnet and my favorite line is that Love "looks on tempests and is never shaken;" Such beautiful imagery. I have seen Latter Days and it is such a wonderful film that represents the concepts of this poem. Ironically enough, as I wrote this comment a song from the soundtrack started on my iTunes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey BB,
    It is such a good movie! I've found that it is one of few movies in the realm of Queer Cinema, that actually has a good ending! So many don't have the "Happily Ever After" ending.
    That is pretty awesome, about the song coming on as you posted! I love it when things like that happen, I smile for awhile... you have to love the little things.
    I'd love to talk to you guys some more... I found coming out incredibly hard, and from what I know about Mormons, it can be quite strict. So yeah... I'd really love to have a good solid conversation with a Gay Mormon... plus I'd really like to know more about the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its like fate sent me to ur blogpost! you echo my sentiments in ways i couldn't have expressed at this low point in my life... Thank u buddy :) Can't say it made my heart lighter but defntly made me feel a lil better... Oh n the sonnet also reminded me of 5 years ago, a brighter time in my life...when i studied it at my literature class...i suppose we should never give up on 'undying love' for recipients change but our capability to love doesnt :)

    ReplyDelete