Monday, December 14, 2009

El amor no es un sentimiento, es una habilidad

I watched Dan In Real Life again today (it really is a great movie! I recommend it).

There was line the movie that caught my attention... "Love isn't a feeling, it's an ability" (El amor no es un sentimiento, es una habilidad). I'm still trying to form my opinion on this statement. It makes a lot of sense, some people are incapable of love, that is clear to me. But I've always felt love, it is that powerful, horrible, beautiful, soul destroying, life giving "feeling" deep inside you. Isn't it?

I don't know, maybe if anyone reads this and they have an opinion, you could comment? I'd love to hear what people think about love. It's an important thing in my life. My other question is for you, is whether you think it's possible for two guys to truly be in love with each other? I'm not talking about infatuation, or lust... but honest to God, pure and true Love? I've always believed that love is universal, love knows no bounds... but lately my beliefs are being tested and I fear they may crack. I see the Queer world, and it isn't pretty. But maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

It isn't even my own happiness that I'm trying to find... I just want to see that true love exists in the Queer world. I don't think people have much faith in us gays and lesbians. For so long it has been an underworld, people living in it side by side with the so called "normal" world. And because of this, the expectations seem to be so much lower. It's ok for sex and cheating and immoral behavior, because that is how we are seen?

Well I need to say no. Come on guys, we need have more faith in ourselves right? As long as we continue to prove everyone else right, by acting in the ways that a lot of gay people do, we are never going to get equal rights, and be accepted. Or am I just overreacting? My thoughts get scrambled... I apologize for the lack of coherence in my posts, I start with one idea and then end up a million miles away. I guess I have a lot in my mind that I want to say, and it all sort of rushes out, I have no control over my hands and they just keep typing whatever thought pops into my head.

I'm not really too sure on the purpose of this blog. I know that I really enjoy writing here. I like thinking that there are people out there who read what I write. But even if there aren't, I know that by trying to put my thoughts into words, I am making some sense out of them. I guess it's obvious that I am now addicted to blogging, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. I could sit all day writing about everything and anything. Though it might not seem like it, I am in fact a writer. http://www.lotusridge.weebly.com is my website. You can see some of my writing there. Anyway, my point about me being a writer, is that I love to write (go figure!). I think this blog is a really good outlet for a lot of the stuff I don't write and a lot of the stuff, I usually can't find words for. It's a place where I can talk about myself (and not come across like an egotistical bastard... sorry if I do!).

Ok, I should end this post I think... it's getting a bit too long!

"Love will not betray, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free"

"El amor no es un sentimiento, es una habilidad"

(Expect another post relatively soon, just try and keep me away)

Lukas xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Great blog title! And interesting post. I happened upon your blog by typing this quote into google. I havent seen dan in real life all the way through, but this quote also intrigued me. I interpreted it a little differently though. I interpreted "ability" as like a choice. Cuz see to me, TRUE love (I'm not talking romance or even what the media sometimes portrays as true love, but true true love) is a choice, a commitment to a person no matter what happens. Think of like your sister (sorry I'm a creeper I was reading some of your other posts!). Even if you guys got into a huge fight and she said something awful, you would still love her right? So in a romantic relationship, I think true love is having such strong feelings for a person and caring about them so much, that you want to stay committed to them no matter what. And even when romance fades and the years pass by, you will still choose to love that person every single day of your life.

    Sorry I'm typing way more than I planned. And I didnt even explain it very well! haha sorry idk but I just thought I'd throw that out there cuz you seemed eager to hear other people's opinions :) All that I've come to know about love is greatly influenced by my faith. So I would say if you're eager to learn more and you're interested in faith as well, or maybe even if you're not, look in that direction.

    Ok sorry I'm really stopping now! Good luck in your love quest. Stay strong! Even on your worst day, know that God loves and will always love you.

    <3 Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lukas, I really loved your blog! Dan in Real Life was a great movie and I really love that quote from the movie. I believe the quote is true. I feel like when you are truly in love, it goes so much deeper than your feelings for that person. True love is your absolute acceptance of everything about them and their being is your existence. And I absolutely believe that two men can be in love, truly. I will quote another line from a movie I love, "Love can't always be perfect. Love, is just love." - The Wedding Planner. :) Love is just love, and I think that sexuality has nothing to do with it. Love is powerful and can do anything and capture anybody. I know you posted this blog a long time ago but love is tough for everyone and you will find what you are looking for or not looking for. :) have faith in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete